The student, postdoc or faculty who nominates a selected speaker typically serves as the host. The Committee Chair, contacts hosts soon after speakers are selected in the spring.
Responsibilities for hosting include:
- Inviting the speaker and liaising with them to select a date for the seminar
- Organizing the speaker’s meeting schedule with faculty during their visit
- Introducing the speaker at their talk and moderating the Q&A
- Picking the speaker up at the hotel in the morning
- Arranging the speaker dinner
Every year graduate students organize student lunches with the speakers. Not only does this offer students an opportunity to discuss the speaker's research, but also gain valuable insights into educational/career development in a casual setting. The lunchtime discussion often covers current issues regarding a specific research topic as well as tips and advice on research direction, grant applications, managing work/life balance etc. for students in different stages of life.
Sign-ups for lunch are announced at the beginning of each quarter to all students within the broad Neurosciences Institute community. If you would like to attend any of the weekly lunches, please contact URee Chon.