Nominations for 2019 Sammy Kuo Awards in Neuroscience
Nomination deadline for the 2019 Awards has been extended till July 29, 2019 at 5pm.
Wu Tsai Neurosciences Institute is pleased to announce the Twelfth Annual Sammy Kuo Prizes in Neuroscience. Prizes will be awarded for the best neuroscience papers published since July 1, 2018. Awards are presented for the best paper authored by a Stanford graduate student, and the best paper authored by a Stanford postdoc. Sammy Kuo died of a rare, progressive encephalitis, and members of his family have generously established this award in Sammy’s honor to encourage meritorious neuroscience research at the postdoctoral and graduate levels at Stanford. One $600 prize will be awarded to a postdoc, and another $600 prize to a graduate student.
Any member of the Stanford neurosciences community may nominate any other member. The nominator should approach the nominee's PI about providing a letter, however the Committee Chair can provide assistance with this, if required.
|Key Dates for 2019 Sammy Kuo Awards|
|Nomination Deadline - Extended||
July 29, 2019 at 5:00 pm PDT
|Awards Presented at the first 2019-2020 Seminar Series||October 3, 2019|
|To Nominate||Email nomination to Daisy Ramirez|
See below for detailed information on the Sammy Kuo Awards Process
All nomination materials must be emailed to Daisy Ramirez.
- Nominees must be first author (or co-first author) on a neuroscience paper, reporting original research performed at Stanford, published between July 1, 2018 and the present (E-publication online is OK).
- Nominees must be current members (student or postdoc) of a laboratory affiliated with Wu Tsai Neurosciences Institute. A graduate student who has moved on to postdoctoral work in a Stanford lab is eligible for the graduate award, as long as the paper is from her/his graduate work. Ditto for postdocs who have moved on to research associate status in a Stanford lab.
- Finalists must attend the first 2019-2020 Wu Tsai Neurosciences Seminar Series to receive the award (October 3, 2019).
- Only one paper per applicant may be submitted. Co-first authors may co-submit.
Applications will be evaluated by a committee of faculty (one 3-person sub-committee for grad applications and one 3-person sub-committee for postdoc applications). Three finalists for each award will be notified privately by August 23, 2019, and the winner and the other finalists will be announced at the first 2019-2020 Seminiar Series on October 3, 2019.
To nominate a graduate student or postdoc, submit the following:
- A pdf of the published research paper
- A short nomination note from the PI, briefly summarizing the significance of the work and the student/postdoc’s contribution. The PI must confirm that the work was performed at Stanford in her/his laboratory.
- Corinna Darian-Smith (comparative medicine)