Nominations for 2021 Sammy Kuo Awards in Neuroscience
Wu Tsai Neurosciences Institute is pleased to announce the Fourteenth Annual Sammy Kuo Prizes in Neuroscience. Prizes will be awarded for the best neuroscience papers published since July 1, 2020 by a Stanford graduate student and postdoc. Sammy Kuo died of a rare, progressive encephalitis, and members of his family have generously established this award in Sammy’s honor to encourage meritorious neuroscience research at the postdoctoral and graduate levels at Stanford. One $600 prize will be awarded to a postdoc, and another $600 prize to a graduate student.
Any member of the Stanford neurosciences community may nominate any other member. The nominator should approach the nominee's PI about providing a letter, however the committee chair, Corinna Darian-Smith, can provide assistance with this, if required.
|Key Dates for 2021 Sammy Kuo Awards|
August 27, 2021 at 5:00 pm PT
|Awards Presented at the 2021 symposium||October 21, 2021|
|To Nominate||Nominations are closed.|
See below for detailed information on the Sammy Kuo Awards Process
- Nominees must be first author (or co-first author) on a neuroscience paper, reporting original research performed at Stanford, published between July 1, 2020 and the present (E-publication online is OK). The paper must be published, and not a preprint; if a paper has already been accepted by a journal but is not yet available, please include a copy of the acceptance by the journal as part of your nomination note.
- Nominees must have completed all aspects of the work as a member (grad student or postdoc) of a laboratory affiliated with Wu Tsai Neurosciences Institute, and must have been a graduate student or postdoc at Stanford as of at least October 21, 2020.
- Finalists must attend the 2021 Wu Tsai Neuro Symposium on Oct. 21, 2021 to receive the award.
- Nominators may only submit one paper per nominee. Co-first authors may be co-nominated.
Applications will be evaluated by a committee of faculty (one 3-person sub-committee for grad applications and one 3-person sub-committee for postdoc applications). Three finalists for each award will be notified privately in early October 2021, and the winner and the other finalists will be announced at the 2021 symposium on October 21, 2021.
To nominate a graduate student or postdoc, submit the following:
- A pdf of the published research paper
- A nomination note from the PI, briefly summarizing the significance of the work and the student/postdoc’s contribution. The PI must confirm that the work was performed at Stanford in her/his laboratory